Skye's Pesto Pasta
This is an adaption of my friend Skye’s classic recipe, which she brought back from a trip to Italy. I have been fortunate to eat this many times at her home and I have never tasted a better pesto anywhere. Pesto sauce can be used in so many ways, not just over pasta. You’ll never go hungry if there’s pesto in the fridge! Serves: 4 people
- Food processor or blender
- Tupperware container
- Medium saucepan
- Knife & cutting board
- Wooden spoon
“Pesto sauce can be used in so many ways, not just over pasta. You’ll never go hungry if there’s pesto in the fridge!”
For pesto –
- 2 cloves garlic
- 50 g ( 1 ¾ oz) toasted pine nuts
- 100 g ( 3 ½ oz) grated parmesan
- 1 cup ( 8 fl oz) olive oil
- ¼ bunch mint
- ¼ bunch Italian ( flat leaf) parsley
- 2 bunches basil, leaves torn off stems
- salt & pepper
- 1 cup of your pesto sauce
- 250g (8 oz) pasta of your choice
- 2 green zucchinis
- 2 yellow squash
- 1 lemon, zested into strips & juiced
- chilli flakes
- salt & pepper
“Garnish with shaved parmesan and some torn basil and mint leaves.”
How to make pesto sauce:
- Make sure you process in this order; if you put the basil in too early, it turns brown! In the blender, process the garlic, nuts and cheese first, then add a little oil, some mint, parsley and coriander, some more oil and then the torn basil leaves.
- Season blended mixture at the end, when you can tell how much salt or pepper to use based on the saltiness of the cheese and the peppery mint. And more or less olive oil to taste and consistency – sometimes it varies depending on how much moisture all the ingredients have. The parsley helps keep it green.
- Place pesto in a Tupperware container, pour over a little more olive oil to seal the mix from the air, and put the lid on tight! This will keep in the fridge for 5 days.
How to make pesto pasta:
- Cook the pasta according to the packet directions. Drain and place in a serving bowl. Toss with the pesto sauce. Cover loosely to keep warm.
- Grate zucchinis and yellow squash on the medium – sized holes straight into the serving bowl. Add the lemon juice and zest, chili flakes and salt & pepper to taste.
- Garnish with shaved parmesan and some torn basil and mint leaves.